Pages

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Words you can't really understand!

Words you can't really understand! 
(Level: B1 / Intermediate /  **) 


The Union Jack
Photo credit: ThoughtCo.com 

Before watching:

You are going to listen to (and watch) Greg from Online Language Academy.com explaining why learners of English may have problems understanding British English native speakers. 

As a matter of fact, learners of English are not used to the slang or the  shortened words native speakers commonly use. 

Greg is giving 14 typical British English words. 


After watching:


Look at the following sentences and replace as many words as you can with their shortened counterparts.


1. I want to watch the football on television this afternoon but before that, make me a sandwich with cheese, ham and some vegetables and get me the beverages I got from the off-licence!

2. Congratulations!  You've passed your driving test! 

3. In the morning I never have breakfast but I definitely have a cup of tea with some biscuits at 10.30 when I have a break.

4. It's raining again! Have you seen my umbrella?








For more practice, you can also get to OLA - English with Greg on YouTube: click HERE





When you are finished, you can check your answers.

1. I wanna watch the footy on TV / the telly this arvo but before that, make me a sarnie with cheese, ham and some veg and get me the  bevvies I got from the offie! 

2. Congrats!  You've passed your driving test! 

3. In the morning I never have brekkie but deffo, I have a cuppa   with some biscuits at 10.30 when I have a break.

4. It's raining again! Have you seen my brolly?


No comments: