Pages

Sunday 5 April 2020

Song 5: Coldplay - Clocks

Song 5: Coldplay - Clocks
(Level: B2 to C1 / Upper-Intermediate / ***) 



Coldplay
Photo credit: concert-france.com


Before listening / watching:

The following notes coud be useful:

Coldplay are a British alternative rock band formed in London in 1996.
The group comprises vocalist/pianist/guitarist Chris Martin, lead guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman, and drummer/multi-instrumentalist Will Champion.
Coldplay achieved worldwide fame with the release of their single "Yellow", followed by their debut album, Parachutes (2000). Its follow-up, A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002), won multiple awards. Their next release, X&Y (2005), was well received. 
The band's fourth studio album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008), was produced by Brian Eno and earned several Grammy nominations.
In 2011, Coldplay released their fifth studio album Mylo Xyloto which was the best-selling rock album in the UK. 
They released their next subsequent albums Ghost Stories in 2014 and A Head Full of Dreams in 2015.
In November 2019, they released their eighth album, Everyday Life. 


If you want to know more about their latest album, get to Coldplay's official site 


"Clocks" is a song which was written for the second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head. The song won Record of the Year at the 2004 Grammy Awards, and, to date, is one of Coldplay's greatest career achievements.

The writing of the album as such began a week after the September 11 attacks in the United States, which gave the band a fresh perspective on songwriting.


Vocabulary  
to beg: supplier
to plead: implorer
things unsaid: le non-dit
to tame: apprivoiser
gonna (informal English) = going to
curse: malédiction



While listening / watching:

Watch, listen and fill in the missing words in the gaps:

 …………………………… (1) and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to …………………………….. (2)
You've put me down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead (singing)
Come out of things unsaid, …………………………………………. (3) (and a)
Trouble that can't be named, a tiger's waiting to be tamed (singing)
You are, you are

………………………………….. (4), closing walls and ticking clocks (gonna)
Come back and take you home, I could not stop that you now know (singing)
Come out upon my seas, curse missed opportunities (am I)
A part of the cure, or am I ………………………………………….. (5) (singing)

You are [4x]
You are [2x]
And ……………………………………………… (6)
Oh no nothing else compares
Oh and nothing else compares

You are [2x]
Home, home, where I wanted to go [2x](I went)
Home, home, where I wanted to go (I went)
Home, home, where I wanted to go


Now watch the music video: click HERE







When you are finished, check your answers!


Lights go out (1) and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against (2)
You've put me down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead (singing)
Come out of things unsaid, shoot an apple off my head (3) (and a)
Trouble that can't be named, a tiger's waiting to be tamed (singing)
You are, you are

Confusion never stops, (4) closing walls and ticking clocks (gonna)
Come back and take you home, I could not stop that you now know (singing)
Come out upon my seas, curse missed opportunities (am I)
A part of the cure, or am I part of the disease (5) (singing)

You are [4x] (singing)
You are [2x]
And nothing else compares (6)
Oh no nothing else compares
Oh and nothing else compares

You are [continues in background]
Home, home, where I wanted to go [2x](I went)
Home, home, where I wanted to go (I went)
Home, home, where I wanted to go


No comments: