Pages

Friday 10 April 2020

MAKE and DO

Collocations with make and do
(Level: B1  / Intermediate  / **)





Picture credit: expressoenglish.net





Before watching:

You are going to watch two videos from Leila and Sabrah You Tube channel (Love English with Leila and Sabrah).

They both focus on collocations, i.e. when two words get together to make a whole.

In this case the collocations are made up of the verbs "make" (video 1) and "do" (video 2) + a noun.



While watching:

Try to remember as many collocations as possible!
Listen to the explanations! 


Video 1: collocations with "make"




Video 2: collocations with "do"







After watching:


Complete the sentences with a form of make or do!

I ....................... a complaint because the neighbours were always .......................... noise at night.

When he saw the killers, he ............................ a break for the exit. 

The accused can  ............................. an admission of guilt or plead not guilty.

Could you ........................ me a favour?

I helped that old lady ...................... her shopping! I ..................... a good deed!

The scientist ....................a report on his observations in the lab.

You really .................... badly in your examinations! You should ................. better in September when you have your resits. 

It's 10.30. I'd like to ................... myself a good cuppa ( = a cup of tea). Would you like me to .................... you one too? 

When you use collocations in English, you may ....................... mistakes because they are not always easy to remember! 

OK, it's late! Let's get back home!  Who ..................... the driving? I don't because I think I've drunk a bit too much! 

The country expects its citizens to ................... their duty. 

When they ...................... threats to get my money, I .................... them believe I ........................karate. 


Replace the underlined parts in the sentences with a collocation that expresses the same idea! 

Her granny always gives her a lot of attention when she drops by. 

I almost stood up and sang but I decided I didn't want to be ridiculous

Recent discoveries about corruption have brought about a bad image to the President's reputation. 

Scientists are now doing a lot of experiments to find a vaccine against Covid-19.

He wanted revenge on those who had mistreated him

As a manager, he always dealt with his employees and workers in a kind way
He behaved badly with his servants. 

Stop working on people's nerves and complaining about unimportant things!

Phone me as soon as you get her news! 

She washes her clothes every weekend. 

Did that guy really try to attract you?  But he's twice your age! 

They had sex shortly after they met. 

I want to bring about the fact that you are always late! 

I'm used to having at least 10 push-ups  when I get up. 


Push-ups
Photo credit: fitme-fityou.com 




DO or MAKE?  Complete the collocations! 

................ research
................ harm      (+ give the opposite: ........................................)
................ a Spanish course
................ a profit   ( + give the opposite: .........................................)
................ stretches
................ the paperwork
................ a crossword
................ business
................ the ironing
................ a comment
................ a deal 
................ something right ( + give the opposite: ................................)
................ the cleaning
................ yoga
................ a joke
................ a mess
................ exercise
................ a rude gesture
................ a statement
................ amends
................ an excuse
................ room
................ an enquiry
................ an attempt
................ war (+ give the opposite: ..............................) 
................ a puzzle



If you are interested, you can find more videos on Leila and Sabrah Youtube Channel by clicking HERE


You can also get to Leila's and Sabrah's official site: http://loveenglish.co.uk/






When you are finished, check your answers!


Complete the sentences with a form of make or do!

I made  a complaint because the neighbours were always making noise at night.

When he saw the killers, he made a break for the exit. 

The accused can  make an admission of guilt or plead not guilty.

Could you do me a favour?

I helped that old lady do her shopping! I did  a good deed!

The scientist did a report on his observations in the lab.

You really did badly in your examinations! You should do better in September when you have your resits. 

It's 10.30. I'd like to make  myself a good cuppa ( = a cup of tea). Would you like me to make  you one too? 

When you use collocations in English, you may make  mistakes because they are not always easy to remember! 

OK, it's late! Let's get back home!  Who does the driving? I don't because I think I've drunk a bit too much! 

The country expects its citizens to do their duty. 

When they made threats to get my money, I made them believe I did karate. 


Replace the underlined parts in the sentences with a collocation that expresses the same idea! 

Her granny always gives her a lot of attention when she drops by. 
Her granny always makes a fuss of her when she drops by.

I almost stood up and sang but I decided I didn't want to be ridiculous
I almost stood up and sang but I didn't make a fool of myself. 

Recent discoveries about corruption have brought about a bad image to the President's reputation. 
Recent discoveries about corruption have done damage to the President's reputation. 

Scientists are now doing a lot of experiments to find a vaccine against Covid-19.
Scientists are now doing research to find a vaccine against Covid-19. 

He wanted revenge on those who had mistreated him
He wanted revenge on those who had done him harm

As a manager, he always dealt with his employees and worker in a kind way
He behaved badly with his servants. 
As a manager, he always did right by his employees and workers. 
He did wrong by his servants. 

Stop working on people's nerves and complaining about unimportant things!
Stop making a fuss about unimportant things! 

Phone me as soon as you get her news! 
Make (me) a call as soon as you get her news! 

She washes her clothes every weekend. 
She does the laundry every weekend.

Did that guy really try to attract you?  But he's twice your age! 
Did that guy really make a move on you? But he's twice your age!

They had sex shortly after they met. 
They made love shortly after they met.

I want to bring about the fact that you are always late! 
I want to make a point of it that you are always late! 

I'm used to having at least 10 push-ups after I get up. 
I've made a habit of having at least 10 push-ups when I get up. 



DO or MAKE?  Complete the collocations! 

Do research
Do harm      (+ give the opposite: Do good)
Do a Spanish course
Make a profit   ( + give the opposite: make a loss )
Do stretches
Do the paperwork
Do a crossword
Do business
Do the ironing
Make  a comment
Make / Do a deal 
Do something right ( + give the opposite: Do something wrong)
Do the cleaning
Do yoga
Make a joke
Make a mess
Do exercise
Make a rude gesture
Make a statement
Make amends
Make an excuse
Make room
Make an enquiry
Make an attempt
Make war (+ give the opposite: Make love / Make peace
Do a puzzle



No comments: